Hi friends! So this one is … all on me. Jill Sorenson’s birthday is actually on June 18th. But I think we all know that the tragic shootings at the Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, SC took place the night before, so we decided to hold off. Until the next week. I thought we were all well and good until Jill (very politely) emailed me and … I found my gaffe. I’d scheduled it wrong. Alas. Even worse because I think this is a really great post, and ever timely. Enjoy.
Romance Reader Problems
It happens every few months, on average. Someone who doesn’t know much about the romance genre writes an article about romance novels. The tone is mocking, the statements are sweeping and inaccurate, Fifty Shades gets mentioned, there’s an outdated Fabio cover, words like “bodice ripper” and “mommy porn” get thrown around, rinse, repeat. 75% of romance twitter gets mad while the other 25% don’t care/agree with the article/get annoyed at those who got mad. Then we have meta-outrage, outrage fatigue, and counter-outrage. Someone in the comments will post a link to dinosaur erotica as proof of the genre’s stupidity WITHOUT FAIL. Without fail. Continue reading