So today, we have the super fun Shelli Stevens visiting with us! Ms. Shelli actually hit the NYT Extended list in March this year, which is totally awesome. She writes some fabulous stories, and I definitely think you should give them a try. I’ve even reviewed a few (when I was with TGTBTU…) – but anyway, today we’re playing a “getting to know you” thing. Well, more because Shelli wanted me to interview her. I tried to warn her, but you know how those crazy author types are. 😉
1. What’s the first thing you learned how to cook? Well, hmm, not sure I remember the very first. But if we went back to Middle School Home-Ec (do they still have that?) it was probably those caramel pull aparts. With the biscuit dough. Anyone remember those? So good. So bad. [We called that monkey bread, if we’re talking about the same thing…]
2. What was your first job? your most interesting one? I was a hostess at a restaurant. And most of the waitresses were just mean and refused to tip me out. I wasn’t there long 😛 My most interesting one was probably working as a Medical Assistant. I worked at a family practice and did everything from blood draws to taking X-rays. Loved befriending the patients and seeing the strength of the human spirit.
3. What’s your favorite tv show? And also your favorite guilty pleasure secret shame show. I’m talking Real Housewives, The Kardashians, Bridalplasty, Jersey Shore, etc. *shudders* I want real shame here. My favorite tv show is Modern Family (that or Happy Endings). I love to laugh. And I’m a huge news buff, but I don’t think that counts as a ‘show’. My secret shameful guilty pleasure show? Hmm…well, I do catch myself watching Power Rangers Samurai, even after my daughter has gone outside to play. In fact when she sneaks on my Tweetdeck to tweet, she loves to tweet about how much I love the ‘Deker’ character on it (but seriously, he’s hot).
4. What would you name a pet rock? Sir Rocky Road. Or Betty. [I’ve got to know – why Betty? Because it’s random?]
5. 15 degree weather, or 105 degree weather? Why? It’s freezing in the Pacific Northwest. We break out the shorts if it hits 60. I used to love the cold, but the older I get, the colder I get. So give me heat all the way…and maybe a one-way ticket to Palm Springs.
6. How’d you come up with your author name? Or, if you write under your name – what made you choose to do so? Along the lines of the first one: have you ever forgotten your author name and not responded when someone called you? [Think about when you started out.] It was actually a nickname from college. And the domain was available to I took it 😛 I’m just used to writers and readers calling me by my pen name, and ‘civilians’ (the non-writing/reading types) call me by my real name. Coming back from conference always takes a bit to readjust.
7. Celebrity/Author death match – who would you most want to take on? [you don’t have to say why ;)] Karen Erickson. I will take that wench down. Why? Because she has that Victoria’s Secret dress that I’ve always wanted and they no longer sell. Better put a lock on your closet, girly!
8. Do you prefer primary, secondary, or tertiary colors? You do realize I had to Google tertiary (maybe I shouldn’t admit that). So I went by a very pretty pie chart that broke the colors down, and then I envisioned them as handbags. My final answer is primary. I like’m bold.
9. What would you put in your ideal candy bar? Hmm. Maybe salted caramel, dark chocolate, nougat… and bacon (what…you need protein).
10. What three animals would you combine to make a super creature? A pegasus (come on, you know you believe in them). A cat. And a porcupine. Otherwise know as the Pegacatupine. It’s the ultimate warrior. It flies from danger. Is self-cleaning. And can have needle like projectiles when needed.
11. Who do you think is the hottest actor right now? What about hottest actor *ever*? Hottest actor right now would have to be Chris Hemsworth (Thor). He’s got the most beautiful eyes. And chest. In Star Trek he totally should’ve abandoned ship with the others. I’m just sayin’, I wanted him to stay around way longer than the opening scene. Hmm. Hottest actor ever. Now that is a hard one. I will say an actor who continues to make me swoon (by voice alone) is Matthew McConaughey. I loved him in A Time to Kill (powerful movie/book). Doesn’t he also do those beef commercials? I don’t eat beef, but when those commercials come on I just swoon a little and think, “Yeah, Matthew…maybe beef is what’s for dinner.”
12. What’s your favorite movie? Your favorite bad movie? What genre do you gravitate towards? Favorite movie ever is Love Actually. It makes me laugh and cry. It shows all sides of love, not just the happy ones. I watch it every Christmas Eve after the kid falls asleep. Favorite bad movie would have to be Robin Hood (the Kevin Costner one). I saw it in middle school (I think?) and fell in love with stories set in that time period.
Shelli is a New York Times Bestselling Author who read her first romance novel when she snatched it off her mother’s bookshelf at the age of eleven. One taste and she was forever hooked. It wasn’t until many years later that she decided to pursue writing stories of her own. By then she acknowledged the voices in her head didn’t make her crazy, they made her a writer.
Shelli currently lives in the Pacific Northwest with her daughter. She writes various genres of romance and is represented by literary agent Laura Bradford from the Bradford Literary Agency. She’s a compulsive volunteer, and has been known to spontaneously burst into song.
Isn’t Shelli adorable? 😀 She’s also offering one ebook from her backlist – which is a great prize in and of itself. But ALSO? A $10.00 giftcard to Sephora! Sephora, you guys!!! Augh. I’m so jealous. I need to start telling other people to host these giveaways so I can win something… 😉
Feel free to answer any or all of the questions I asked Shelli… or ask her a crazy one of your own! I want to see what all of you can come up with! 😀