Hi Ladies! I guess I’m back and doing shit! Kinda! I might also be ~high from not enough oxygen because I’m stuffed up so much I can’t breathe. This constant headache is my only companion. *cue tiniest violin ever* I’m actually feeling okay, or I’m too delirious to know better. Either way, WHEE! There were no posts or people, and I really wanted to share these hilarious BuzzFeed videos. You can probably expect more in the upcoming Heritage Months. Enjoy! (Oh and what I also like is you can turn on closed captioning for these videos too. Well, at least the first two. The last one is new to me! 😀
Trust me to bring it all down from the highbrow and thoughtful posts we’ve been having lately.
Hi friends! Can you believe that it’s December? I can’t. This year has flown by. I had such high hopes for 2012. It was… well, a year. So I’ll transfer my high hopes to 2013. But in the meantime, don’t you worry, because at least in the ALBTALBS world I’ve got some semblance of control. (Although maybe that should make you fret…) My point is though that we’ve got a lot of fun and good things ahead. AHOY!
Erm, and now that I’ve scared Pamela Clare and all her readers away… you know. That’s okay. She was super awesome and a good sport because I’m losing my mind with “sick brain” and did this all rather last minute. (And she was so kind about it! It’s sad I’m so pleasantly surprised to see a nice author response…) But anyway, Pamela Clare is awesome. She also wrote one of my favorite romances ever. Extreme Exposure. (Read it – you’ll see. And if you don’t, your loss. More Reece for me!)
Without further ado… (since I got to it so quickly and all…) Ms. Clare’s non-traditional, traditional ALBTALBS interview! \o/
1. What’s the best admonishment your mom ever gave you, or that you’ve ever given a kid? e.g. if you make that face it’ll freeze like that. or… if you walk from the kitchen to the table w/ a fork in your mouth you’ll stab yourself through the throat and die.
I’ve got two boys. When they were little, they fought a lot. I remember being on a car trip and being at my wit’s end. I ended up shouting, “If the two of you don’t stop fighting and be quiet right now, I’m going to take your Play Station and throw it out the window when we get home!” That shut them right up.
2. Immediate response: what is the most interesting thing that has ever happened to you? [I know you were a journalist so I can imagine you’ve got a number of them…]
Immediate response? OK. My immediate response is so many that I can’t even single one out. Being an exchange student and living abroad. Staying overnight in jail as a bogus felony arrest to better understand women in prison. Traveling to the Navajo reservation to cover forced relocations there. Those three stand out.
3. What’s your favorite drink? (alcoholic, and non-alcoholic)
WATER! I don’t always drink alcoholic beverages, but when I do, I prefer pinot — grigio or noir.
4. What is your favorite TV show? now your favorite guilty pleasure secret shame show. i’m talking real housewives, the Kardashians, Bridalplasty, Jersey Shore, etc. *shudders*
I don’t have television. I got rid of it years ago. I’ve never seen Seinfeld, Real Housewives, Survivor, Jersey Shore, none of it. I can’t fathom why anyone thinks the Kardashians are interesting. I love Star Trek, Firefly, Castle, Game of Thrones, True Blood and Hawaii Five-0, which I watch on DVD.
5. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
Mutton stew prepared for me by a very kind family on Black Mesa. In the stew, I found one of the slaughtered sheep’s teeth. At least I hope it was one of the sheep’s teeth.
6. Which would you most like to go to? Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, China, Mesopotamia, Africa, or South America? (or another ancient place?) Why?
ROME! I studied Latin for 10 years and my undergraduate and graduate work were in archaeology, focusing on Greece, Rome, Egypt and the Minoan and Cycladic cultures (Crete, etc.) I’d choose Rome over Greece because women were treated terribly in ancient Greece.
7. Which fairy tale would you most like to be in? Least?
Sleeping Beauty. I get lots of rest and wake up to find a prince kissing me. That works. Snow White. Too scary!
8. When did you get your first aol screen name? Do you remember what it was?
Never had one. 🙂 I’m a bit old fashioned. No smart phone either. No cable television.
9. What author promo has been most effective for you? (As far as you can tell.)
I think word of mouth has been the most helpful for me. Social media after that. Thanks to the Internet, it’s so easy to connect with people who share our interests.
10. Have you ever owned any crazy pets? What kind(s)? If you’ve never had a pet, which exotic one would you consider?
I had a zoo in my bedroom as a teenager: a mouse, several guinea pigs, a cat and a bird. Nothing too crazy. I have been to wildlife refuges where I was able to pet, among other things, a mountain lion. They’re the biggest of the cats that purr, and it purred up a storm. It sounded like a little motor. It’s fur was very rough, not soft at all. I also got to bottle feed a 400-pound male Bengal tiger. He was seven feet tall when he reared up on his hind legs. He drank the bottle very quickly and almost knocked me onto my butt just by brushing me with his shoulder when he passed by me. I had tiger slobber on my shirt, and I thought that was pretty damned cool! … I’m so jealous I think I might need to stop the interview right here.
(I needed a moment)
11. What items have to be close by when writing & not just the sensible stuff like research notes, but the other perhaps slightly goofy stuff (bowl of m&ms, stuffed animal, stress ball, pot of coffee).
Vanilla latte, chocolate (sometimes M&Ms — I like the almond variety), lip balm, lots of pens (not sure why), and my earbuds. I listen to a LOT of music.
12. How do you feel about the dentist?
I love my dentist. She’s wonderful. I haven’t had a cavity since I was 18. Maybe that’s why I love her. I just go in for cleanings and come home. 🙂
13. What is the super power you would most like to have? And least like to have?
I would love to be able to teleport myself wherever I wanted to be in the world. That would cut down on travel time, and I’d be able to hang with my friends and readers in Europe and be home in time to have dinner with my kids. As for the super-power I’d like LEAST to have… Body odor that kills?
14. What was your worst traveling mishap ever? Or most constant one? (Did your luggage get stolen by a monkey? Is the flight canceled every time as soon as your ride drives away from the airport?)
Oh, God! I lost my driver’s license in the Philly airport in the middle of a two-stop flight. The people in the airport were exceptionally unhelpful. I’ve never met airport staff who were more rude. But the TSA folks were great. I really slowed down my trip. Can you imagine having to say to TSA, “I am me. Yes, really, I am. Would I lie to you?” I was able to use my social security card and my Colorado press card, together with answering a bunch of questions, to get on my flight. I am now VERY careful with my driver’s license. I don’t want to do that again!!!
Annnnd somehow, a question slipped by. And based on her other answers – I don’t think Ms. Clare meant to miss it. I’ll ask it in the comments. 😉 Maybe. I’m curious though – what do YOU want to ask her? As you see, anything goes. Incidentally, all the book covers you see here are linked to the books, so feel free to check them out, and ask Pamela any questions you have.
OH! And how could I forget? The main draw for some of you… 😉 up for grabs? One lucky commenter gets her (or his!) choice of either an audiobook version of *Hard Evidence or a signed copy of Defiant.
*N.B. neither of which are pictured. I just like keeping you guys on your toes 😉